Sunday, September 20, 2026

Starbucks at Plaza Singapura

The ink flow from the fountain pen was not ideal but I made do. There were many students studying at starbucks with their laptops, books and bags spreading over the tables and chairs. The students would disappear for around an hour or so leaving their stuff behind. I suspect some of them went for lunch. Singapore is so safe!

I have not been to Plaza Singapura for a very very long time so I was happy to go early and explore before a meeting. I took the train and Dhoby Ghaut MRT Station was huge! It took me a while to locate the exit to Plaza Singapura which was my go-to shopping mall in the 80s when Yaohan and Yamaha Music School were there. In the 80s, everyone carried a Yaohan plastic bag just like now everyone carried a NTUC plastic bag. My children spent most of their weekends learning music and organ at Yamaha on the upper floor. I also remember spending a lot of time at a salad cafe called Ponderosa.

I do miss the good old days at Plaza Singapura before Starbucks. More on the history of the old mall at this link.