Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Seniors at Coffee Shop

I see seniors at coffee shops, markets and supermarkets more and more may be because I am also a senior, a retiree and we have all the time in the world to wonder around our neighbourhood. I see more seniors on wheelchairs or on their PMD some with helpers, many alone sitting in the coffee shops staring at their smart phones. Very often they were watching useless sitcoms, shorts, online purchases etc.

This table of seniors from different races and their helpers caught my attention as they were chatting, seemingly reminiscing the old days. Uncle Sikh had a long white beard and moustache so when he ate his prata with curry, the orangy curry stains could be seen on his beard. His helper would clean off the curry for him with the wet tissues supplied by the other uncle Eurasian with a shorter beard and walked with a walking stick. When I left, they were still sitting there so I was not sure who needed the wheelchair, was it uncle Sikh or the other uncle Chinese whose back was facing me.