Saturday, May 29, 2010

day one of wood firing

100528_dragonkiln

The wood firing at the dragon kiln started on Friday, 28 May at around 8am by Martha Stewart. Yes, she was in Singapore and they did the filming at Thow Kwang Pottery Jungle early morning! Wood firing was a 2-day, 1-night event and with so many helpers around, I did not have to do my shift of throwing the wood into the fire box. I had time to do a watercolour piece on day one at around 6pm before the BBQ when the sky turned pitched dark. The turnout for the BBQ this year was fantastic that for the very first time, late comers had to park their cars outside the main gate along the kampong (in Malay - means village) trail.

For this piece of work, I splashed some colours on the watercolour paper and let the colours to dry completely before using the fountain pen to do the line work. I then added the colours to bring out the mood and depth of the fire box. At this time inside the fire box, the temperature was around 700 deg C, so I could feel the heat too sitting near to the fire box doing this piece of work.