Saturday, August 29, 2026

August Sketchwalk at Zion Road

Today, I just picked up my old square watercolour paper randomly and used it to complete an ink and watercolours work at the backlane of Zion Road. It was a very very hot day and I had to move a few times to complete the work under the shade. Occasionaly I would stand in the sun and work on the details. I was quite familiar with this area as I was a regular at the Zion Riverside Food Centre. Many stalls were closed today on a Saturday may be because it would be closed for spring cleaning in the next theree days. "Kang Wantan Mee", my favourite stall was opened so I was glad to have my usual wantan mee and a hot kopi o guo.

An Huat Trading, the corner shop at the junction of Zion Road and Zion Close was a very interesting shop which was selling colourful majolica tiles, coloured glassblocks and curios for interior renovation work. They also placed big garden sculptures and big plants along the corridors so it was so cluttered that even the bright red fire hydrant was hidden by the cardboards placed around it. I exercised my artistic licence to remove the clutters so I could apply a tiny drop of bright red in the work.

Daler Rowney Square Watercolour Paper
Size: 350 x 350mm