Friday, August 24, 2012

Penang sketches

120707_Kapitan Keling Mosque_PenangMiss a few posts on sketches of Penang. Here is one of them.

This charming building with two projected chimneys on the roof top is located at the corner of Jalan Buckingham and Jalan Masjid Kapitan Keling, just next to the famous Kapitan Keling Mosque in Penang. The building typology is one of the colonial style with very clear horizontal divisions and Islamic arches on the ground floor. That Saturday day, it was the George Town Heritage Festival and we were at the heart of it - so crowded, energetic, hot, humid. After a few quick sketches, it was too overwhelming for me that I had to take cover at the shaded walkway occupied with chairs meant for the security guards at the temporary traffic barricade . The two guards were so nice to let me sit and sketch. Pedestrians came to me to look at my sketch and talked to me all the time. They were surprised I came all the way from Singapore to Penang and sketched along the road side. I felt the warmth from these strangers and sense of pride of the locals.

Medium : Ink and Watercolour,
Size : 200mm X 400mm