Saturday, September 13, 2014

Day 3 at Pereque-Acu River - Corsario

140829_Paraty

The open sketchwalk on Day 3 was at Rio Pereque Acu just next to a prominent curvilinear bridge accessible to cars and pedestrians overlooking an old church. I did not know when I was sketching it that this was the back of First Church of Our Lady of the Remedies in Paraty. My hotel was directly facing the front of the church! I totally lost my sense of scale and direction in Paraty. Blame it on the cobblestones that I could not walk straight and see what's was directly in front of me.

There were so many sketchers sketching alongside with me. I wish I had more time to speak to them. I was with Kumi from Japan and KK from Penang. Thais Lima Machado Canavezes, a young Brazilian sketcher was sitting next to me and I gave her some tips when she asked. I told her to squint both eyes to read the tonal values and added horizontal darker tones for the row of houses along the river. I also advised her to add some colours here and there especially the sky. She was very pleased with the result.