Sunday, May 22, 2011

my home in the 70s

110521_ToaPayoh
110521_ToaPayoh_photo1 110521_ToaPayoh_photo2

I sketched my birth place, my first home and now another place I call home when I was slighter older.

Did this sketch of my old home from the public corridor of block 239, Lorong 1 Toa Payoh. My home in the 1970s, block 53 Lorong 4 Toa Payoh was the first high rise public housing flat in Singapore under the 'home ownership' programme. Cannot remember the unit number but we stayed on the 11th storey at the left corner unit. It was quite an unique design with a cylindrical water tank on the roof top. I remember it was painted in green which I'd done here. The pitched roofs and pointed facades were added later which I think the original character of the building block was lost. Oops!

You can see city skyline here, from the left - Concourse, Flyer, Marina Bay Sands to UOB and OCBC buildings. WOW!

Oh yes, the block was visited by The British royal family in the 70s - a significant but forgotten event in our public housing history. Read a very well written post here.