Sunday, November 15, 2009

the leaning tower of Singapore

091115_mosque

I went to a local marketplace where locals and tourists shop for backpacking gear, army gear and equipment. I bought two small foldable chairs, one with back rest and one without. I put my new foldable chair to good use that I sat along the pavement and sketched the famous mosque near-by.

The Hajjah Fatimah Mosque was built between 1845 and 1846. It was named after a Malay business lady of the same name who donated the land to build the mosque for the community. The mosque is located within the Kampong Glam district where an earlier sketch was done for another big mosque called Sultan Mosque about 500m away. The Hajjah Fatimah Mosque is well-known for its leaning tower which leans about six degrees towards the onion-shaped dome. The leaning tower or the minaret has a European influence because it was designed by J.T. Thomas, the government surveyor. The mosque also has European Doric pilasters and a Moorish verandah.

After Hajjah Fatimah's death she was buried in a special chamber at the rear of the Mosque; her tombstone as well as her daughter's stand side bye side in the chamber. The Hajjah Fatimah Mosque was gazetted as a national monument in 1973.

I also found another good use for the new foldable sketching chair, as a support for the sketch when I took a photo as shown above. For this sketch, I also try my relatively new pen - the affordable Hero M86 caligraphy fountain pen with Noodler's ink.