Thursday, March 12, 2009

Shophouses with Oval Windows and Front Court

Shophouses02_Muhammad Sultan RoadShophouses01_Muhammad Sultan Road

Two old sketches I did for Muhammad Sultan Road in the 90s.

The row of shophouses along Muhammad Sultan Road has lost its prime compared to the old days. When I brought few groups of students for drawing trips in 1992, 1993 and 2001, the place was full of character and surprises. See my article here. This place used to be one of the most hip and popular nightlife areas in Singapore but it is now replaced by the adjacent Clark Quay - the night entertainment hub.

I must emphasize again I love the oval windows on the facade in one of the shophouses and its rare elevated front court. I hope people pay more attention to these details especially the oval windows as they are important and tangible evidences that testify to the arduous journey of our shophouse heritage.